Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Monday, June 13, 2011

Working for Others


ACVV- Visiting a Child protective Service Agency
            On Friday morning, June 10th, Tahira took Stephanie, Taylor, and I to visit a Child Protective Service agency that serves inner Cape Town.  We arrived at the agency around 9:00 am to meet with a social worker.  The agency’s office was above an inner city educare.  Jonathan, the community social worker, met us in the lobby and took us to his office.   Jonathan described his job responsibilities as conducting community work through programming, receiving in-take calls and conducting intake interviews.  He told us he receives 15 to 20 calls a week that require a follow up interview.  One of his co-workers said that her caseload is between 100-150.  With so many cases, I was surprised that one social worker would have so many job tasks.  After his introduction, we discussed the roles of a social worker and the misconceptions of social work.  In a room of American and South African social workers we came to the conclusion that we are in a highly needed, skilled, and under appreciated profession. 

Workshop
            After meeting with the ACVV intake and community worker, I returned to Safe Line to conduct my rescheduled workshop.   With my bag full of crafts supplies and examples, I convinced several of my co-workers to attend the workshop.  I set up a table with my supplies in the lounge and arranged biscuits on platters for the attendees.  As everyone settle into a seat, I began the workshop with the “Who am I?” Flower activity.  My co-workers each created picture of a flower with one identity written inside each petal.  For example, I might write my name in the middle of the flower with the identities of Social Worker, Peterson Family member, American, Woman and Student on the petals.  The staff finished their flowers and presented their identities to the group.    Then I lead them through a few activities and crafts.  The group particularly enjoyed the “Make your own city” activity.  I was happily surprised by how the staff engaged in my workshop.  Each of my co-workers jumped into the craft and activities with open hearts.  They were all interested in learning from me and I was excited to gain their feedback.  After reviewing my evaluation forms, I determined that the workshop was successful and the only thing that would have made it better was more time. 


1 comment: