Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Monday, June 13, 2011

Forensic Assessment Training


            Safe Line has recently received an increased number of referrals from hospitals, the police, and schools.  With so many new cases, I have been asked to begun conducting Forensic Assessments with the client’s caregiver before referring the client to a staff therapist.  Continuing to follow my mantra of “going with the flow even when it’s bumpy”, I agreed to help.  Today, the director hosted training on Forensic Assessments.  The training was similar to other trainings I have attended, but I was thankful for the refresher before I start taking on my own caseload.  We reviewed interview techniques, the Children’s Act of 2005, person in environment maps, kinship charts, and SWOT analyses. The training could have been more in depth, but I felt that it reviewed needed information and answered all my questions.  Hopefully tomorrow, I can practice my in-take skills before my first client on Wednesday. 
            Though I am content to learn in-take skills and therapy methods, I wonder what part of my placement connects to my professional development as a community organizer?
           

No comments:

Post a Comment