Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Monday, June 13, 2011

A (Half) Day at the Beach


Planning & Community Work
            On Wednesday, June 8th, I spent the early morning planning for my upcoming Parent Support Group and re-working my rescheduled workshop.  I also attempted to assist the community workers in hosting a Parenting Program in Bontiville, but no parents attended.  The workers and I waited at the identified church for two hours with only one attendee.  The community member that recruits women for the program reported that no one was coming.  On Thursday, June 9th, the community workers and I returned to Bontiville to host the Parenting Program.  Patiently, we waited for the parents from the community to arrive.  Eventually we began the group with around 15 women.  I introduced the program and facilitated an icebreaker before beginning the group activities.  After a few days of parenting programs, I am beginning to wonder if Safe Line has a place for me.  Almost half way through with my internship and I feel stuck.  I want to be professionally challenged. 

Cape of Good Hope
            For our last day with Scott, we took a day trip to Cape Point after placement on Wednesday.  On the drive, we jammed out to Scott’s garden route mix of classic rock and old school rap.  Kristen, Scott, and I sang the lyrics loudly as our van drove through the ocean side towns of the Western Cape.   We eventually arrived at Cape Point.  I took in the breath taking scenery before beginning the hike to a mini piece of paradise.  Kristen, Stephanie, Becky, Scott, Bethany, and I made our way down the trail to the aqua water and sandy beach.  For the rest of our short time on the beach we ran around, took pictures, and took a moment to appreciate each other and the connection we all had. 
            With each joke and conversation, I thought about how much I was going to miss Scott.  How much I was going to miss everyone. I also thought about how rare it is to find people who understand my sense of humor, my frustrations, and everything else in between.  I hope that my family and my friends know how much I appreciate the validation and support they give me.  I also hope they know how much I miss them when I am gone.  There are days where I wish I could carry you all with me, but in a way I guess I already do. 

PS. See you later, Panda. Safe Travels.
           


No comments:

Post a Comment