Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Week End


Rhode’s Monument and a winding walk
            Our quartet headed to brunch on Saturday morning at the Rhode’s Monument Café.  After a beautiful, but rainy hike, we shared an amazing meal.  Over Eggs Benedict, Scones with clotted cream, Cappuccinos, and my lone espresso, our group shared intense ghost stories.  With each bite, sip, and story I began to see the complexity hidden behind the beautiful faces of my newfound friends. The sadness of our stories and the warmth of each other left me with an aching feeling in my chest.  The type of ache that leaves you with the feeling of being both hopeful and sad.  After leaving brunch, the sun broke through the cloudy sky of Cape Town lighting our trail down. 
            We hiked down Devil’s Peak to the University of Cape Town’s School of Dance fundraiser.   Unfortunately, we stood in line only to find out that the fundraiser performance of the Black Swan was sold out.  After our group disappointment we strolled through Rondebosch and stopped by a used bookstore.  I happily perused the poetry section and found two collections of South African poets for 43 Rand ($ 6.14).  Maybe I should facilitate a poetry session with my 13-year-old youth group? 
             With my new treasures in hand, we went back to home base. 

No comments:

Post a Comment