Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Election Day


 Local Election Day
            Today, South Africa hosted its local elections.  All week the news blared and people talked about the election.  Who would win?  The DA or the ANC?  Some people discussed how they would vote other discussed that they refused to vote.  It should be interesting to see who will win Cape Town.    As a result of elections, all work places were closed including all intern placements. 

Table Mountain…..oh wait….
            With no placement, several volunteers and I decided to climb Table Mountain.  Excited about seeing the view of the towering mountain surrounding Cape Town, my partners in crime cabbed it to the specified trail and started our climb.  Some where between gasping at breath taking views, snapping pictures, and talking our group lost our way to Table Mountain.  As far as we can tell, the specified trail was not for Table Mountain, but for Devil’s Peak.  The climb was steep, amazingly beautiful, and about 6 hours long (we originally expected a 2 hour hike).  After a while our group thought we were lost, but found our way back to the main road.  Even with our mix of possibly three trails and sore legs, we had a great time together.  We climbed boulders, took time to enjoy the view, and had a picnic with Auntie Lynn’s sandwiches.  By the end of the day, my feet are sore, but I had a great time.  I guess I will save Table Mountain for another time. 

Take-out
            With elections, the house manager gave our group money to buy ordered in take out food from Mr. Delivery.  We each carefully wrote down our orders, Stephanie tallied the cost, and I called the service with our order.  Of course, after talking with the attendant, I found out that we couldn’t order from that restaurant anymore.  The house exploded in laughter and frustration as we struggled to find current menu and order food.  By 8:00 pm, we had a new list of orders.  I dialed the number and crossed my fingers that this would work……  The attendant picked up and I began our order.  From the start, I had to navigate the list and ask people to change orders after the attendant informed me the restaurant did not serve certain dishes.  After many thank you’s, order changes, and hurried page flipping (Thank you to all that made that happen!) we ordered our food!!!  About 30 minutes later, we enjoyed our feast of Indian, Thai, and Chinese food with only a few order mistakes (my order and one others).  Overall, out food adventure was a good show of team work and what we will all do for good food!

1 comment:

  1. Too many adventures in one day. Can't believe you all got lost on the trail. Good thing that you all had fun anyway. Sounds like the lot of you are great adventurers.

    ReplyDelete