Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jump in


Leisbeck Primary
            The community outreach team headed out to Mitchell’s Plain again.  The team had set up a line of presentations from Grades R-3 at Leisbeck Primary.  I was assigned to take minutes and take pictures for Safe Line.  Victoria and another community worker presented the children with information about their bodies, health, and a little about what Safe Line does though activities and songs.   The children sing and follow along. 
            The second graders come into the classroom for their presentation.  The other community worker and I switch places.  She begins taking minute while I sing along to Victoria’s songs and help answer the children’s questions.  Even though I am still learning the words to the songs, I jump and sing along with the kids.  The session goes very well.  I am so happy to finally start participating in the educational outreach program! 
            After we returned to the office, I quickly meet with the director of Safe Line.  She is working on a calendar for me and told me I will be running four youth groups with children identified as having been sexually abused by a school in Mitchell’s Plain.  I am beginning to compile activities and icebreakers to plan a 10 session group for four specific age groups. 

The Water Front
            I had a lovely dinner with several volunteers at the Water Front.  We walked around the bay, went in shops, and had a nice dinner out on the deck.  I eyed a beautiful Ferris Wheel on the board walk as we searched for dinner.  After deciding on a restaurant, I tried some Springbok appetizer and enjoyed some good conversation. 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment