Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The First Weekend


The Biscuit Mill Market
            Around mid-morning, I tagged along to the Biscuit Mill Market with some of the other volunteers.  Biscuit Mill is like a local Farmer’s Market that caters to tourists and privileged locals.  The market is set back in an old biscuit factory.  There are two giant tents devoted to selling fresh food, flowers, and cuisine.  When you walk into the tent you can smell freshly baked sweets, meat pies, and anything else you can dream of.  I start my morning by breaking away from the group and grabbing a 20 R ($ 2.50) Mango Lassi (fresh mango and yogurt).  Though I had heard of a Lassi, I tried my first one today and it was amazing.  I continued to explore the tents.  I noticed many families, American tourists, and college students eating at large tables set in the middle of the tent.  I also noticed that many of the people were drinking wine, champagne (Bubbles), or Sangria at 10:00 am.  Everyone seemed to be having a great start to the day.  I decided to follow my heart and try a few sweets (of course!).  I tried a warm croissant from a vendor and a Lemon Meringue Tart from another.  The croissant and Tart were both amazing, though I thought the tart lacked in lemon flavor. 
            After walking through the tent and gathering my treats, I took a look in the surrounding shops and wrote in my journal.  The surrounding shops sold art, furniture, and gourmet food items to wealthy locals and tourists.  I enjoyed looking at all of the beautiful items, but my mind kept wandering back to the poverty present in Cape Town, in Detroit……
            The day ended around 12:00 pm.  Though I had a lovely time eating and walking around, I was challenged by the obvious divide between the served and the underserved. 

New Arrivals
            Today, the new volunteer began to arrive.  They are expected to have 10 new people in the house by the end of the day. 
   

2 comments:

  1. You're getting a bit crowded in there, I think. Should be an interesting experience with such a diverse group.

    Just remember, when you are in those markets you are helping people to earn a living when you buy their product.

    Take care. Aunt Mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theme of the privileged and underprivileged will continue to haunt you during your time in South Africa. Remember to take it a step at a time and more then anything, LISTEN to what everyone has to say! Very interesting mingling cultures there.

    ReplyDelete