Qaitlin Peterson

My photo
Appalachian State University, B.S Anthropology, 2010 University of Michigan, Master of Social Work (MSW), Pending December 2011

Monday, May 23, 2011

"Go with the flow even when it is bumby"- Scott, CCS volunteer


 I was back in the field today.  The community team did the child education program or biblio. at Hugueriot Primary in Mitchell’s Plain.  Our team presented the biblio to about 150 children in Grade 2 and Grade 3.  For each presentation, I took minutes, pictures, and helped present on South Africa’s Emergency number: 107.  The lead community worker is beginning to trust in my ability to present information. 
            After our presentation, our group had to wait a long time before being picked up by another worker near Mitchell’s Plain. Once we returned to Safe Line’s Athlone office I had a quick discussion with the director about the children’s groups I will be conducting.  She talked about how the office is still waiting for the school in Mitchell’s Plain to confirm the number of children and the dates, but she wants me to begin to work out my group work outline.  There was discussion that I would be hosting up to five different groups for 10 sessions each.  Though I have already begun to plan the sessions, I am concerned about planning for some many children with a range of behavioral and abuse histories.  I feel that I can’t plan an effective group without talking with the school, building relationships with the children, and conducting a needs assessment.   I sincerely hope that I can gather more information about the youth before I implement my groups.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to do fine. The children will love you. Everything will be fine. :) I truly enjoy reading these. This experience sounds truly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always hard when projects begin. Eventually you'll get the details and background you need. Trust in yourself; you are good at what you do and you'll figure it out. I think the children will love you too!

    ReplyDelete